Our 8-year-old cat, Elli, is suffering from Feline Hepatic Lipidosis. She has been eating very little since we moved to Germany about 5 weeks ago and nothing at all for the past few days. When that happens to a cat, their body respond by breaking down their fat and sending it to their liver to be processed for nutrients. Unfortunately for felines, their livers aren’t all that efficient at processing fat, so it accumulates and can cause serious problems if the process isn’t reversed quickly.
I am hoping we didn’t wait too long to take her to the vet. The military vet wasn’t equipped to provide the level of care she needed, so she’s now being treated by a local German veterinarian. She’s had x-rays, ultrasounds, blood work, and even some exploratory surgery to see if there is a blockage in her digestive tract. She came through that surgery fine, and no blockages were found, but she’s still in pretty bad shape. All we can really do now is hope that she can start keeping food down without vomiting and her liver recovers.
I’m trying not to feel like we put her through unnecessary surgery, or that we’re doing too much to save a sick cat. The vet thought the surgery was the thing that should be done, so we went with it. It will end up costing us a fair number of Euros, but, hey, we get free people health care from the military, so that balances it out, right?
We’re going to go visit her this evening after she recovers a bit from the anesthetic. Hopefully she’s awake and happy to see us.
Update: We visited Elli and she was still sleepy from the anesthetic. The vet said her liver looked very bad, and the prognosis isn’t very good. We’ll have to wait and see how she is doing tomorrow, but there’s a good chance that her illness has progressed past the point of a recovery.